The Lowville Rural Cemetery Association was organized in 1867 pursuant to Legislative acts now known as the Not-for-Profit Corp oration Law and is under the general jurisdiction of the Cemetery Board , a division of the Department of State of the State of New York.
If the thought is father of the deed, our cemetery has its origins in a discussion had in February, 1860 between Franklin B. Hough (1822-1885) and James L. Leonard (1821-1867). Both men, prominent citizens and leaders of the community , saw a need for a new cemetery and , indeed, at this time, examined the area between the junction of the two branches of Mill Creek just westerly of the
Village of Lowville. They were in agreement that this location would be ideal for the purposes sought. The land could readily be improved; the slopes and hills were actually a positive factor as they could be terraced and when the trees thinned and trimmed, the summit would
afford a "pleasing and extended view of the valley and country around". The site was such that any future growth of the village could not encroach upon the place : The gentle murmur of the streams and a cascade (Silvermine Fall ) nearby served to "isolate the spot from
the noises of busy life" , added to the charm of the locale and were in harmony with the purposes for which the location was selected.